Full list of Events
Activities by Office
Activities by type
Activities by Theme
IPLA Forum of the Private Sector
23 Feb 2012 - 23 Feb 2012This meeting aims to introduce the International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA) to the private sector and discuss the needs and challenges in waste management-related businesses, services, and investment.
1:00 PM - 5:00 AM
1:00 PM - 5:00 AM
Participants discussed the enabling conditions for private sector involvement, including public-private partnership (PPP), potential areas for investment, and what type of information and functions they can expect from IPLA.
Organized by: United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
Co-organized by: Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
Sponsored by: UNCRD Cooperation Association
Meeting Summary: (PDF)
Annex 1: Draft LA Profile Format (PDF)
Annex 2: Draft Private Sector Profile Format (PDF)
Nagoya International Center (NIC) Training Room 2
- Introduce IPLA to the private sector
- Discuss enabling conditions for private sector involvement, including PPP
- Identify potential areas for private sector investment
- Seek cooperation in information and knowledge sharing/dissemination
- Discuss the framework of IPLA that is in the best interest of both local authorities/municipalities and the private sector.
Participants: (PDF)Private sector, related organizations
Ms. Chikako Takase, Director, UNCRD
Prof. Chettiyappan Visvanathan Environmental Engineering and Management Program, School of Environment, Resources and Development, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) / IPLA Global Secretariat
Waste management issues in world developing cities
International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA)
Needs and challenges facing local authorities in developing countries
Public Private Partnership (PPP)
CRC Mohanty, UNCRD (PDF)
Prof. C. Visvanathan, AIT (PDF)
Brief introduction by companies
- What are the enabling conditions for private sector involvement including PPP?
- What are the potential areas for private sector investment?
- What type of information and knowledge could the private sector disseminate through IPLA for the interest of local authorities/municipalities?
- How should the IPLA framework (i.e., the Web portal/platform) function be used keeping in mind the best interest of both local authorities/municipalities and the private sector?
Wrap-up & Closing
Previous/recent IPLA meetings & Events
IPLA Global Forum
IPLA Global Forum 2015 (Oct 2015, Moscow, Russia)
IPLA Global Forum 2014 of ISWA 2014 Solid Waste World Congress (Sep 2014, Sao Paulo, Brazil)
IPLA Global Forum 2013 (Sep 2013, Boras, Sweden)
IPLA Global Forum 2012 (Sep 2012, Seoul, Republic of Korea)
Special Event of ISWA World Congress 2011 (Oct 2011, Daegu, Republic of Korea)
IPLA Launching - Side Event on Building Partnerships for Moving Towards Zero Waste (CSD-19) (May 2011, New York, USA)
CSD Intersessional Conference on on Building Partnerships for Moving towards Zero Waste (Feb 2011, Tokyo, Japan)
Regional & Sub-Regional Meeting, Workshop, Event
IPLA event - International Dialogue on Solid Waste Management Towards Zero Waste (Mar 2015, Bogota, Colombia)
High-level Interactive Forum on Multi-Stakeholder Cooperation for Knowledge and Capacity Development in Waste Management (Dec 2014, Lagos, Nigeria)
SIDS 2014 Conference - Parallel Event (Off-site): Expanding Waste Management Services of Pacific Island Countries through International PPPs (Sep 2014, Apia, Samoa)
2014 IPLA Europe Forum at IFAT 2014 (May 2014, Munich, Germany)
Workshop on Moving Towards Resource Efficient and Zero Waste Cities for city and local government officials from Semarang City, Indonesia (Oct 2013, Brisbane, Australia)
IPLA Side Events during Rio+20 (Jun 2012, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
International Meeting Bogota Zero Waste: Towards a Culture of Utilization (Feb 2012, Bogota, Colombia)