Vacancy AnnouncementVacancy Announcement (UNCRD VA-22-001) (reopened)
|Job Title:||Individual Contractor/Researcher (State of 3R)|
|Duty Station:||Nagoya, Japan|
|Contract Status:||Individual Contractor's Agreement administered by UN DESA|
|Starting Date:||Expected to be 1 November 2022 or earliest possible date|
|Closing date:||30 September 2022 (Japan local time)|
Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the head office of the United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD), Nagoya, Japan, which is a project of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. The incumbent reports to the coordinator of Environment Unit.
Responsibility: Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Coordinator of the Environment Unit, the Individual Contractor will be responsible for the following:
- Substantively participate in development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects in the areas of 3R, resource efficiency and waste management.
- Conduct independent research to analyze issues and challenges faced by countries in advancing 3R, resource efficiency and sustainable waste management and provide policy insights to corrective and innovative solutions to address these challenges.
- Coordinate publication of 2nd State of 3R assessment reports on a regular basis and make them available as technical input to policy consultations at the Regional 3R and Circular Economy Forum in Asia-Pacific.
- Make use of the externally available or in-house knowledge-base and information to carry out regular assessment of 3R policy implementation in Asia-Pacific in line with the Goals of the Hanoi 3R Declaration (2013-2023).
- Write policy relevant research papers, background papers, country case analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to 3R related publications, etc.
- Coordinate with international experts and resource persons and national and international organizations in developing required sections of the State of 3R assessment reports as an input to the Regional 3R and Circular Economy Forum in Asia-Pacific.
- Research and analyze data and information issue in relation to the indicators of the Hanoi 3R Declaration (2013-2023) and State of 3R assessments.
- Strengthen in-house knowledge-base in 3R, resource efficiency and circular economy related areas utilizing data, information, expertise available from diverse sources, including country sources.
- Provide substantive support in organizing the Regional 3R and Circular Economy Forums in Asia-Pacific and related processes, etc.
- Participate in field missions, and drafts mission summaries, etc.
- Establish networks with Japanese as well as internationally recognized resource institutions and experts and private sector in 3R areas for collaborative activities, including capacity building and technical cooperation targeting developing countries and cities.
- Build synergy between Regional 3R and Circular Economy Forum in Asia-Pacific and the "International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA)" which is an SDG partnership; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Results Expected: The main output is the timely implementation of the 3R project activities. Specific outputs include:
- 2nd State of 3R reports are prepared;
- Policy relevant research papers, background papers, country case analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to 3R related publications,
- Substantive support in organizing the Regional 3R and Circular Economy Forum in Asia and the Pacific and related processes such as expert group meetings on 2nd state of 3R.
|Education:||Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in science, engineering, science policy or management related field (preferably related to environment or natural resources management or any development sector). A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.|
|Experience:||A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation; previous work experience with government in areas of 3R, circular economy, resource efficiency and waste management would be an asset.|
|Language:||The working languages of the UN Secretariat are English and French. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage. Knowledge of Japanese would be an asset.|
|Other:||Practical knowledge of all the basic software for document production is required. Good command in both oral and writing communication is an asset.|
Remuneration:Monthly fee will be decided depending on the selected candidate's academic and professional background, which ranges from JPY350,000 to JPY400,000. Monthly fee shall be paid to the Individual Contractor upon certification of performance by the concerned Supervisor. (Leave entitlement is not granted.)
Application:Applicant is required to send a Personal History Profile (PHP) form along with one page (maximum) writing (in English) describing or justifying why you think yourself as a suitable candidate for this assignment to email@example.com by email before 30 September 2022. PHP form is available at the UN Inspira website (https://inspira.un.org). Create your account at the website (if not yet) and register your personal information at the Consultant Roster page. If you wish to be registered on the roster of candidates for the Individual Contractor/Researcher (State of 3R) post, kindly indicate this in your email.
Applications received after the closing date will NOT be considered.
Only selected candidate will be contacted. No individual acknowledgement will be sent.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
As per UN policy, Consultants and Individual Contractors may not apply for or be appointed to any position in the Professional or above categories and for positions at the FS-6 and FS-7 levels in the Field Service category within six months of the end of their current or most recent service. This restriction does not apply to associate experts (Junior Professional Officers) appointed under the Staff Rules.
No Fee: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information pertaining to applicants' bank accounts.